Monday 12 May 2014

May Book Haul Take #1: New & Used


It is book haul time. I am finally free of uni for the summer and I want to focus more on my blogs and more on reading for fun. I'm putting down the textbooks and grabbing some fiction books to lose myself in. In celebration of being free, I treated myself to some books and here they are! 
 
The Vincent Brothers by Abbi Glines
Genre: New Adult Contemporary 
New | £2.99 | The Works
The Vincent Boys follows Ashton during the summer that her 'perfect' boyfriend, Sawyer,  is away. She rekindles her friendship with Sawyers cousin Beau, the town bad boy. 

The Vincent Brothers follows Sawyer, after he returns from his summer trip away, and after the ending of The Vincent Boys.  

The books are both short and sweet reads, and the New Adult genre means you do get a bit of sexy times so if you don't like that you won't want to pick these up.  I grabbed this, and the first book in this series at the Works as part of their 3 for £5 deal, but they both can be found online or £2.99 each or as part of their 6 for £10 book deal.  
Genre: Adult High Fantasy 
Used | £2.99 | Ebay
I'm sure I don't need to say anything about this book. Even if you don't know what it is really about I'm sure you've heard of it. The TV show is a hit and with it's popularity rising more and more people are reading the books. 

They are scarily long and apparently quite confusing because there are so many characters and you are in a whole new world/setting but I thought I would give the first one a go to see if I can get into reading high fantasy novels. 
Genre: Young Adult Paranormal 
New | £4.00 | Asda
Half bad follows a guy called Nathan, who comes from a family of witches. He is considered Half Black and Half White and is waiting for this 17th birthday when he can be given a power and land on the white or black side. The rest of his family, as I understand it, are pure white witches and treat him differently because his father is the most notourious black witch ever. 

I grabbed this because it has been crazy popular on BookTube. I've heard so many people talk about this, and it everything was positive. I have started this, but I can't get into it. I think I'll try and pick it up again in the summer when I don't have uni stress but so far I'm not in love.
Genre: Adult Memoir 
New | £1.00 | Waterstones
In The Blink of an Eye is a memoir of a just before middle aged man who suffers a stroke unexpectedly and ends up suffering from Locked In Syndrome. It follows his thoughts of his condition and life, written through blinks, and also complementing chapters from his wife. 

I was really intrigued by the book, and the bargain price persuaded me to buy it. I haven't read anything like this before and am a little hesitant to pick it up at the moment because I don't handle sad to well but I will get to this and I'll report back when I do pick it up.
Genre: Young Adult Paranormal Romance
New | £0.99 | Ebay
This book is a series of 5 short stories all based around paranormal romance. I read Prom Nights from Hell ages ago, and it was a nice light read. It was something that broke up longer books and I figured I would grab this and see if it is as good. 

I only really know of one author here, Scott Westerfeld, so maybe the book will help introduce me to other authors I would not have heard from before. I will do a review once I've read the book so check back semi-soon (maybe) for that. 
Genre: Adult Romance 
Used | £0.99 | Ebay 
The Time Travelers Wife was one of the first adult books I read. I grabbed it before the movie came out and I fell in love with it. I read it from the library, so decided it was time to purchase the book and re-read it.  The movie is alright, but no where near as good as the book so if you liked the movie you'll love the book and if you were okay with the movie then please give the book a chance because it is 100x better. 

The story follows Henry, a time traveler and his partner Clare. They meet when she was 6 and his was 36 because of his abilities. They married when she was 22 and he was 30. It's heartbreaking, heartwarming and a brilliant book, and the uncontrollability of Henry's ability keeps you guessing through the book.  
Genre: Young Adult Contemporary/Thriller
New | £2.99 | The Works
The Sound follows 18 year old Ren Kingston on her summer in America. Originally from England, the young lady starts nannying for a wealthy family and befriends the local rich private school kids and the bad boy of the Island. The book is a mixture of romance with some of mystery thrown in because someone on the island has been murdering foreign nannies, and Ren might just be next. 

I picked this up because it sounded intriguing. I was in the mood for something contemporary, with a bit of fluff but something that wasn't just average romance. The mystery aspect of the book intrigued me so I grabbed it at the worked as part of their 3 for £5 deal.
Genre: Young Adult Dystopian 
Used | £0.99 | Ebay
The Glimpse is the first in a dystopian series that follows Ana and Jasper. In the new world people are divided into Pures and Crazies according to DNA test. It turns out that Ana was wrongly categories, and trouble ensues after that. It seems intrigueding so I'll get to it at some point. If it's good, I'll look into the rest of the series. 
 
I picked this up on a whim. I did the unforgivable, and judged the book by its cover. It might have been a mistake because the cover is nothing like the book topic but we will see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment